The small details you probably don’t think about but the top things I recommend to all my couples on the day of.
Get ready in the best light.
- Have your makeup artist do your hair and makeup near a window, but leaving room for me to get in! Fluorescent hotel bathroom lights are no one’s friends. They show EVER-Y-THING and not in the good way.
- The same tip applies for getting into your dress. I want you to get dressed in a clean area near a window with a lot of natural light. All those glamorous light and airy photos you see on Instagram can only happen if we work together using these tips.
Have all your details ready to be photographed.
- Shoes, jewelry, perfume, invitations and any other special items set aside all together makes it faster and easier for me to photograph them during your getting ready time.
- Ask your florist for a few extra flowers to use with your detail shots. It can be just some greenery or a single bud but it really ties the whole photo set together.
- Your partner probably has custom details too! Shoes, ties, tie clips and any custom suit jacket embroidery are all great to photograph during this time.
- Let me know in advance if there are any special, unusual or sentimental details so I don’t miss them!
- Consider buying a custom ring box to hold your rings for photos. The Mrs. Box is a popular choice, but for a more unique option, try sourcing vintage ones on Etsy or Ebay.
Keep the getting ready area tidy.
- A full hotel room or bridal suite with tissue paper, shoe boxes everywhere, unmade beds and empty sandwich trays are distracting elements that take away from the beauty of the day. Put away your suitcases and tidy up the room for the getting dressed photos.
- Prep the dress! Remove the cardboard bodice and swap your free plastic hanger for a simple velvet one or order a custom-made hanger on Etsy. Take a quick look before I get there: does it need to be steamed? Are the price tags still on?